It is amazing that we’re already seeing the end of 2017. What a year it has been! We feel that 2018 is going to be one of the best yet, not only for personal and business but specifically for the O365 environment so if you’re not all caught-up with what is going on, we’d suggest going back through our monthly updates and make a list of things you’d like to implement.
We’re available for ad-hoc training sessions and support hours, we also have ongoing support packages, which you can see here.
We would love to see you all on Social Media, whether it is Facebook; LinkedIn or Instagram – follow us, we’re going to be putting more content up in 2018.
Focusing on the updates for this past month, we’re continuing to see items released, post-ignite conference, and this is great news. We will see even further implementation in the first quarter of 2018.
MODERN SHAREPOINT SITE THEMING
“This new capability provides site owners with eight default themes that can be applied to all pages of the site; both within team sites and communication sites. Additionally, custom themes can be created and uploaded to a customer’s theme gallery and made available through the same Change the look panel within each site.”
SHAREPOINT MODERN PREVIEWERS
“This new capability provides site owners with eight default themes that can be applied to all pages of the site; both within Microsoft have now increased their viewable files (in browser) from 250 file types to 270!
With this latest update the ‘get a link’ / ‘copy link’ function is going to work for previewers.
If you are using the links for previewing files, already in your SharePoint site, try the ‘File Viewer’ option in the modern page view:
CUSTOMISE YOUR LISTS IN SHAREPOINT USING ‘POWERAPPS’
“You can now easily customize any SharePoint list form in PowerApps. Much of what you were doing with InfoPath to customize SharePoint list forms you can now do inline in a browser with PowerApps. Plus, PowerApps gives you the ability to do so much more!”
UPDATES IN MODERN SHAREPOINT PAGES:
There have been an incredible number of additions and continuous improvement to the SharePoint Modern Pages.
You can also have notifications set for people to receive, based on updates/changes and posts.
As stated on the Microsoft Tech Community, these are as follows:
- Planner – View Planner plans inside SharePoint pages and news with visual Kanban task layouts and beautiful plan overviews.
- Microsoft Forms – Create your survey at forms.office.com, grab the final Share URL and display your surveys right within the SharePoint user interface. You can choose to show the results after the user submits the form, too.
- Group calendar – display your Office 365 group’s upcoming and past calendar meetings and events.
- File viewer – Beautifully, visually highlight over 270+ file types from within SharePoint pages and news article. This web part is an update (+ name change) to the Document web part, and continues to support embedding Word, Excel and PPT, and now renders PDFs, 3D models, medical images, and more.
- Twitter – bring in live tweets from chosen Twitter handles, specific collections or via search keywords. It’s always nice to show the live context of what’s being said externally right alongside the context of what you are working on internally.
- Spacer & Divider – simple web parts that give you the ability to add physical space between web parts, or a visual line in between.
- Yammer – Now out of preview, the Yammer web part can be programmed to showcase a Yammer group discussion, and it looks great in the Web layout of SharePoint pages and news articles and when viewed within the SharePoint mobile app (iOS, Android and Windows Mobile).
- Image – You can pull in Bing Images that utilize the Creative Common license to enhance your pages and news (you are prompted to review the image licensing). You, too, can pull images directly from a specific document library. And once your images are on the page, you can edit them inline with simple gestures like adjusting the ratio and cropping.
- Text – the rich text editor web part now gives you greater control for how your text appears. From the simple command bar within the web part, select the ellipses to display the broader set of choices in the edit pane, like font colors and highlights, plus table creation and editing.
- People – a new Descriptive display shows more profile information with room to add custom links and descriptions per person.
- Events – greater control of the preferred date range to show upcoming events, plus the ability to see each instance of recurring events.
- Highlighted content – Ability to choose from a specific document library as the source, more design and layout choices like Filmstrip and Masonry, plus additional filtering mechanism to refine by document type and control metadata mapping to influence the display of the search-based results within the web part.
MS ‘To Do’ now visible under Portal
This latest App from Microsoft is a wonderful, personal planning tool. You now have it available to download from your phone app store. However, you will need to ‘activate’ it within your O365 tenant.
For more information on how to do this, click here.
New SharePoint Admin Centre
In the New Year, Microsoft are rolling out the updated ‘SharePoint Admin Centre’ which will make it a whole lot easier to manage your SharePoint site collections.
The main focus areas will be around:
- Overall site management
- Site activity and security
- Site settings / admin
- Recycle bin
- Device access
To take a further look, you can review the update here.